- This event has passed.
Doing the Work: A Space for White People Working Against Racism
December 3, 2020 @ 18:00 - 19:30 CET
Doing the Work: Multicultural and Multilingual Families
How do concepts of multiculturalism and multilingualism tie into notions of (anti)racism and nationalism, and ultimately how we create belonging? What does (multi)culture have to do with antiracism? Understanding yourself, your culture and being able to express it is a large part of feeling belonging. As individuals, we can have a large impact on our own and others’ belonging.
Come to our session, co-hosted with Olga Titova, who has a degree in philology and is a mother of two third culture kids, to learn:
- What does it mean to be multicultural and multilingual, and how is that tied to belonging?
- What antiracist support exists and is lacking in institutions and society to create belonging in Norway?
- Importance of knowing your own culture
- What happens when culture and race is not acknowledged and valued in Norway – what can the consequences be?
- Call people in, not call people out
- Take risks, make mistakes, learn, and keep going
- Tap into mutual interest
- Appreciate that growing is good and hard
Bring a pen and paper to our session, as we will do some personal reflection to prompt discussion.
Suggested Donation of 100NOK.
Please register to receive a Zoom link.