- This event has passed.
Doing the Work: A Space For White People Working Against Racism
November 19, 2020 @ 18:00 - 19:30 CET
Doing the Work: Structural racism
Have you ever heard “That’s racist!” and wondered to yourself “How? No one said anything mean”? You may have encountered the phenomenon of structural racism; a set of historical, cultural, institutional and interpersonal dynamics that routinely advantage whites while producing cumulative and chronic adverse outcomes for people of color. It is a concept that may be hard to grasp, but we are going to work through it during this session of Doing the Work.
Often we borrow our analyses from a North American context, and while there’s a lot to learn from over there, we have a responsibility to develop our own analysis of what is going on and specific to where we live in Norway.
Our digital session will be organized around introductions to concepts around power, access and opportunities within a definition of structural racism and reflective prompts in breakout rooms. You’ll have the chance to take in new thoughts and then digest them with others in smaller groups.
Come to our digital session to:
- Understand the concept of structural racism and how it applies to a Norwegian context
- Develop a definition of structural racism that you can recognize and act against
- Share your thoughts and questions, not to be right, but to learn and teach
- Call people in, not call people out
- Take risks, make mistakes, learn, and keep going
- Tap into mutual interest
- Appreciate that growing is good and hard
This session will be held online. Please register for a ticket to receive the Zoom link.
If you would like to support this program, please select the Suggested Donation ticket of 100NOK.
August 18 @ 19:00 - 20:30 CESTVirtual Event