- This event has passed.
Doing the Work: A Space for White People Working Against Racism
November 5, 2020 @ 18:00 - 19:30 CETFree – 100kr
#BlackoutTuesday. We know that many jumped on the bandwagon with the black squares and it quickly became something of a trend – but was this helpful in achieving the initial purpose? Is it worth posting a black square if we don’t actually engage further?
Social media plays a huge role in the current BLM movement, and its potential as an information sharing platform is absolutely huge!
However when campaigns are popularised, there also runs the risk of the cause being taken out of context, of a new agenda arising, and compassion fatigue occurring (Think Kony 2012, No Makeup Selfie, #ChallengeAccepted…).
So, what should know before we engage with social media initiatives of anti-racist nature to make sure we’re supporting, rather than detracting from the movement? How can we ensure that we engage authentically, and not become a “clicktivist”?
Join us on Thursday to gather some pointers on what to look for, and skills on how we can translate anti-racist activism from Instagram to the real world.
Max attendees: 15
This event is free for HerSpace members.
*To reduce the risk of COVID-19 infection, we are taking precautions to keep participants safe and decrease exposure to the virus.
Before attending this event, please be aware of the following rules:
- Only participants who have purchased a ticket beforehand are able to attend, in order to help us ensure having a safe number of people in our space at any time.
- Please wash your hands or use antibacterial solution for at least 20 secs when you arrive at HerSpace.
- Please keep a minimum of 1-meter distance to all persons and wear a mask when that is not possible.
- Shared equipment, including yoga mats, paint brushes, toys, will be disinfected directly after use. However, we encourage you to bring your own materials if possible.
- Please be safe and stay at home if you feel unwell. Send us an email and your ticket can be applied to another upcoming event.